Some of the greatest allures of Australia are the vast, varied and unspoiled landscapes. However, that variety naturally means there's a lot of distance between sites and places of interest, which in turn adds up to considerable expenses. A range of travel options gives visitors the opportunity to see many of Australia's greatest hits at considerable savings.
Australia is a huge continent, and the number of attractions it boasts is equally immense. For a traveler, it can be tough to choose from among the many activities and sights that deserve attention. That challenge, combined with the long-distance travel that's involved in getting from place to place, makes organized tours popular for Australia travel.
Tauck's Australia travel options give travelers the chance to see many of Australia's greatest hits at considerable savings - as much as 40 percent - over independent travel. Those savings, combined with pre-organized itineraries that take in all the must-see sites, allow a traveler to sit back, relax and fully enjoy the experience.
Get the most out of your Australia travel experience with these five destinations and outings.
1. Explore Victorian Melbourne. This elegant city is the perfect introduction to Australia, and a sightseeing tour of its Victorian-age architecture is a great way to see it all. Stops should include St. Patrick's Cathedral, the Queen Victoria Market and the serene Royal Botanic Gardens.
2. Visit Uluru and the Outback. Australia's greatest natural landmark, Uluru, also known as Ayer's Rock, is utterly mesmerizing, and one that is a virtual necessity for any Australia travel experience. See it at sunset and sunrise for an incredible natural show of light and color. The culture of Australia's Aboriginal people dominates the Outback and the desert landscape in which Uluru sits. Learn about their cultural traditions, centuries-old, and their "dreamtime" legends on a guided tour that shows a more mystical side to this stark, impressive landscape.
3. Enjoy a trip to the Great Barrier Reef. The Great Barrier Reef easily qualifies as one of the most spectacular natural sites on the planet, and no Australia travel adventure is complete without exploring its wonders. Travelers should take a cruise, and enjoy the opportunity for swimming and snorkeling to get a true perspective of this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
4. Discover the continent's flora and fauna. Australia is home to the desert Outback, but also to lush tropical rainforests that are some of the most unique in the world. In North Queensland, Tauck travelers can take a cable car ride through the misty treetops for a bird's-eye view of the rainforest canopy. The famous animal species of Australia are also a can't-miss part of any Australia trip - see crocodiles, kangaroos and koalas up close on a variety of excursions that are included in Tauck's tours.
5. Sail Sydney Harbour. One of the world's most recognizable icons that instantly identifies "Australia" is the Sydney Opera House. That iconic architectural gem is best viewed from two perspectives - from the waters of Sydney's famous harbor and on an in-depth tour that lets travelers see all the impressive details. On one of Tauck's Australia travel options, participants can see it both ways, including a relaxing luncheon onboard the cruise as you take in the Harbour Bridge and the cityscape.
A visit to Australia is the trip of a lifetime, so it's important to do it right. Opting for a carefully planned Australia travel experience will show off best what the continent has to offer and allow you to travel in comfort and style while enjoying the journey to the fullest.