“Voters do not need to bring anything when they register and can pick up their card and extra cards to give to friends, but the individual voter must turn in his or her card,” said Barbara Berry, chief clerk of Walker County Board of Elections and Registration.
The deadline for voters to change their name or address information before the primary is also Aug. 20.
Registration sites and locations include:
Walker County Courthouse in LaFayette; Dodd Brothers Garage in Fairview; Edward’s Country Store in Villanow; Rock Spring Wholesales in Rock Spring; Walker County Water and Sewer Authority in Chattanooga Valley; Walker County Civic Center in Rock Spring; Department of Family and Children’s Services in LaFayette and Rossville; Walker County Health Department in LaFayette and Rossville; Department of Rehabilitation in LaFayette and Rossville; Georgia State Patrol in LaFayette and Rossville; public libraries in Chickamauga, LaFayette and Rossville; and city halls in Chickamauga, LaFayette, Lookout Mountain and Rossville.
“We will be receiving our first shipment of the new voting equipment on July 12, which will be on display at the Aug. 20 election,” Berry said.
Walker County Board of Elections and registration polling places include:
- Chestnut Flat Fire Hall, 5172 Ga. 95, Rock Spring
- Walker County Courthouse, 103 S. Duke St., Room 107, LaFayette
- Pond Springs Elementary School, Pond Springs Road, Chickamauga
- Wilson Fire Hall, 3189 E. Broomtown Road, LaFayette
- Rock Spring gymnasium, Ga. 95, Rock Spring
- East Armuchee Fire Hall, 63 Concord Road, LaFayette
- Lee School Road Fire Hall, 18 Old Lee School Road, LaFayette
- West Armuchee Fire Hall, 3839 W. Armuchee Road, LaFayette
- Mountain Pleasant Community Center, Lula Lake Road, Lookout Mountain
- Chattanooga Valley Fire Hall, 63 Cubine Road, Flintstone
- Daugherty Gap Fire Hall, 23716 Ga. 157, Rising Fawn
- Cedar Grove Fire Hall, 5395 West Cove Road, Chickamauga
- Kensington Fire Hall, 4995 Kensington Road, Chickamauga
- Rossville Municipal and Civic Center, McFarland Avenue, Rossville
- Chickamauga Civic Center, Cove Road, Chickamauga
- Lookout Mountain City Hall, Lula Lake Road, Lookout Mountain
- Fairview Elementary School, Jenkins Road, Rossville
- Wallaceville Fire Hall, 2171 N. Ga. 341, Chickamauga
Absentee ballots will be available 30 days prior to the election. Voters who are eligible for absentee ballots include: residents temporarily residing outside of the county such as college students; workers on job duty; persons age 75 or older; and election officials or those who will be away from the precinct from the time it is open till the time it closes, according to Betty Jane Chambers of the Walker registrar’s office.
“Immediate family can apply for college students or disabled family members for an absentee ballot,” Chambers said. “We must mail out the absentee ballot by the Friday before the election.”
Berry’s office must receive the ballot by mail or in person before the polls close on election day, she said. Absentee ballots should be mailed to P.O. Box 445, LaFayette, GA, 30728.
Any ballots received past Tuesday, Aug. 20, will not be counted, she said